Mount Trebevic

Thursday, November 29, 2018
Sarajevo, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina
According the weather app on my phone, the sun was supposed to come out today. I hadn't seen the sun much since Saturday, so I was pretty excited about this. I thought today would be a great day to take the cable car up Mount Trebevic. 
As I mention on my Facebook post, Sarajevo had a cable car up Trebevic Mountain that was built in 1959. It had some repairs, closed in 1989 and was completely destroyed during the Bosnian War. An American doctor, who married a Bosnian woman, donated a large chunk of money to get it reconstructed and up and running. It opened in April of this year. 
The car is awesome and now modern. It purrs like a kitten. The colors of the cars are now the colors of the Olympic rings. It took under 10 minutes to reach the top, and the views were amazing. I don't use the word amazing very often, but it was so cool to see the city of Sarajevo get smaller and smaller. The sun was also coming out, and there was fresh snow on the trees. It was beautiful. Once I reached the top, I asked a cable car worker about getting to the abandoned bobsled track that was used in the 1984 Olympics. Go up the stairs, take a right, get on the "road," then at the crossroads, take a left. Seemed easy enough. It was icy and slick in some spots, so I walked slowly. The views and were still breath-taking. I found the track and it looked exactly as it did in photos, only covered in snow. 
I was the only one on it, and then when I came to the road, I saw a car with four men get out and start walking. Not sure if they were workers or hiking, but it didn't worry me too much. I was more worried about slipping and falling, but I had my phone with me. It was eerie being on the track, and really cool to see it. I can see why it's a tourist attraction. 
I made my way back to the station, and by that time, more people were riding the cars and in them. I rode down and headed back to the hotel to each lunch with the items I had bought the other day from the market - meat, cheese, nuts, bread, and some clementines. I went to the City of Sarajevo Museum and then had an appointment at a hamam, a Turkish bath. This was renovated since the war, but the history of it dates back to the 1400s. It was really cool, and is now also a hotel. From 2-6 pm, it's for women only, but I was the only one there. I also received a 30-minute head-neck-shoulder massage, and that little Bosnian woman had some strength. Wow! It was a great way to end my day on the mountain. 
Of course, in the afternoon, I had another cup of Bosnian coffee. I also had a plate of pasta for dinner, at a place called Barhana, which was right next to my hotel.
Tomorrow (Friday), I take the bus back to Dubrovnik, as I fly home tomorrow. I can't believe this journey will soon end.
Thanks for reading,