One last day in Copenhagen and then sailing out

Saturday, April 27, 2019
Copenhagen, Denmark
---[Flat Stanley Reports] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Girls and Boys!   Flat Stanley here on the ship Viking Sky in the harbor outside of Copenhagen, Denmark.   
It is Saturday so Mr. and Mrs. Rickly did not get up real early.  Do you sleep in on a Saturday since you do not have to go to school?
We went to the Explorer's Lounge at the front of the ship for breakfast.  They serve some special waffles here with fruit.  I thought I was going to get some but Mrs. Rickly told me to pose for a picture with our very-nice server, Ma. Desso, who also served us last night in the Italian restaurant on the ship.  She is from the Philippines and is a good worker.  The "Ma." stands for "Maria" (which we think is pronouced as "May") which comes from a comon reference in the Philippines to the Virgin Mary.
People were cleaning our cabin, also called a stateroom, on the aisle where our cabin is.  Do you know what the inside of a cruise ship looks like?   It looks a lot like a hotel.  That is what a cruise ship is; it is a big hotel that floats!   
The weather is a bit yucky today so we are not going touring today.  As a result, it is laundry day.    Fortunately, the laundry room is not far from our cabin.  I thought I might get thrown in the laundry but I got away from the washer before that happened.
See you later!
Being a lousy weather day, we made this our R&R day.  What we did discover before sun-up was that the ship had indeed relocated to another dock during the night but we weren't real sure where until after sun-up.   Sleeping in, we didn't do breakfast until after 9:30am which meant we had to eat at Mamsen's in the Explorer's Lounge as it was the only operation open at that time for breakfast.  We intended to try it anyway since we read that their specialty was waffles.  We both tried one with berries, a light splash of syrup, and some goat cheese "cones".  We weren't impressed with the goat cheese, and waffles weren't as fluffy as the yeast-based ones we make at home, but they're good. 

Since the ship seemed quiet in the late morning, we thought it might be a good time to do our laundry.   That didn't take long.   Rox rested in the early afternoon while Larry caught up on the lastest adventures of "Flat Stanley".  By mid-afternoon, the sun tried to come out a bit and we roamed around on the Sun Deck taking some photos.  But the sun didn't last long and we came back in to watch a "Port Talk" about Ronne, our next port-of-call, in the Star Theatre at the front of the ship.   We were surprised when the excursion director mentioned a tour that we wanted to take but couldn't find listed on the website.  So we spoke with him after the talk and found out it wasn't listed because it was full.  But he offered to "wait list" us.  So we don't quite yet know what we're doing tomorrow, but we'll be on some tour.

Going to the theatre was also a scouting effort as it's our emergency gathering point.   The ship-wide emergency drill was scheduled for 5:15pm so we got a jump on it by arriving a little early.    Unlike our Alaskan cruise with Princess Cruise lines, Viking doesn't keep life jackets in the cabin.  So we were instructed to take our cabin keycards with us to our emergency gathering point if we heard the emergency signal and we'd be issued life jackets there.  They demo'd how to put on the life jackets similar to what airline flight attendants do, but we didn't actually put them on.  So the drill wasn't an especially extensive activity.

From there, we decided to try the main dining room known simply as "The Restaurant".  Since it opened at 6pm, getting a table was easy.  We offered to sit at a "shared" table but were seating at a table for two.  Rox tried the Beef Wellington; Larry did a NY strip steak.  Both were good, but overall, we thought the food in Manfredi's last night was better.  It was still good, though, and we were full when we waddled back to our cabin.  We met both cabin stewards, Angga and Ariane, working the cabins on our row.  They were both on the ship last month when it hit the rough seas off the west coast of Norway and became disabled.  Neither said they were scared, but said it was the first time the emergency training ever really had to be used.   We all agreed that we felt better having "experienced staff" looking after us, but really didn't want any more such experience on this cruise.  
Other Entries