Days 1-4, Singapore

Monday, April 27, 2015
Singapore, Singapore
Day 1.
Landed just after 3 pm local time after a 6 hr flight which was smooth as - just don't like long trips .
After collecting our 3 day "explorer" passes we passed through immigration & customs to collect our luggage before hopping on our transfer bus direct to our hotel.
Time to check this big smoke out so we walk over the road to meander amongst some markets that sell anything and everything. 
I decide to put myself into the unknown by ordering a beef noodle dish whilst R & E go for something more "western".
All's good so next we find a supermarket & stock up on essentials including breakfast items as it's not included in our stay.
Back to our room to unwind & relax, after all it's been a long day.

Day 2.
Tourist day.
Taxi to the Singapore Zoo & spent around 3 hours here.
Taxi to Jurong Bird Park. Around 3 pm a very local thunderstorm erupted & didn't let up for 1 1/2 hours. We along with others were taking refuge in a cafe until one of the parks "tourism trains" came & collected us to return safely to the main entry/exit gates. 
If they didn't turn up we would've been part of the overnight furniture!
Another taxi back to the hotel where we had pizzas for tea in the lobby cafe.
That knocked off 2 attractions with the "explorer" pass.

Day 3.
Tourist day again - without taxis.
After discussing with the concierge we took a bus to the Promenade.
Our plan was to check out the cities "hot spots" so 1st up was the Singapore Flyer. Taking 30 mins to do a revolution it gave a great opportunity to view the city & its surroundings
Next was a journey on the hop on / hop off bus which starts / ends its journey at the Flyer.
We alighted at stop 6 to look for lunch which for E was Macca's, I had a bowl of beef with spices & R fasted. 
Back on the next bus as far as stop 7 where we walked to Clarke Quay. We then boarded a river cruiser for 1/2 an hour which took us as far as Marina Bay Sands with a good guide explaining all that was about us. 
Back onto the bus to complete the loop which took us down Orchard Rd plus many other sights (I've forgotten them sorry).
We alighted, had a look around & saw the F1 track pit straight building so had a walk around there before crossing the river to enter the 'Gardens by the Bay'. This place was filled with many levels of plants growing extremely well. Next was 'Cloud Forest' & 'Flower Dome'.
Again all looking swish (my technical expertise is limited to this one word) so to continue the looong day we walked to a Thai restaurant we'd seen earlier. R & I had nice dishes but E had a  '3 chilli' rated dish which he couldn't get 1/2 way through . I tried it & it was singing my follicles too. A waitress noticed E's dilemma & brought him a large bowl of (free) ice-cream which he tuckered into smartly. A great gesture for him. Me? I had another beer.
We crossed the flash chrome DNA bridge again to watch the laser light water show on the promenade outside the shopping complex...a 15 minute show of projected footage onto water mist / spray accompanied with audio to match.. As that was our full day we headed back to the Promenade to catch some public transport back to our hotel. It was here another local saw me scanning timetables so he offered his assistance - well received as we went back underground, purchased train tickets to Paya Lebar, then we alighted & he walked us to our bus stop that would take us right outside the Roxy. What a top chap.

Day 4.
Again we took bus 10 to the Harbour Front which allowed us to get onto the cable car to Sentosa Island from Faber Peak.
Once inside we saw 'Images of Singapore' which I really enjoyed .
Next was 'Madame Tussauds' museum which also got top marks.
Then into 4D Adventure Land 'Extreme Log ride'. 10/10.
E had the inclination to tackle a skywalk where one is harnessed to a safety cable whilst walking elevated beams. You advance by either jumping, shimmying, walking steadily to complete a loop back to where you begin. Both he & I tackled level 3 (the highest) but I only made 1/4 of the way before my senses said 'no more'. E made the complete loop - good on him.
We took the cable car back to the mainland & checked out the shopping complex nearby - having Chinese for tea before catching the bus back to the Roxy. It was very full of office workers but we managed a seat. We were getting very confident about using the public transport by now which was pleasing.
Back to our room for some well deserved R&R.
Tomorrow we leave for Vietnam!
Other Entries