Met Emmanuel - the French Canadian death metal DJ on a visa-enforced break from Norway - who I know from Istanbul, when he got in later. Go to Ephesus together, why not? Always good to share the ‘travel screw up risk’ but do it easy. As usual it takes a bit of imagination at these ruins, but due to its size is still worth seeing. Don't know how some of it hasn't fallen over (like the Library of Celsus) but gives a good idea of how grand the place really was
Other Izmir sights:
- Old guys pushing carts with two rabbits on it - one big, one small to pat for a fee.
- -The peaceful waterfront
- -The less peaceful main drag and laneways with every sort of par/pub/cafe, and kebab restaurants.-
- Guys aiming a pellet gun at balloons bobbing upon the seaside, out in the open, along the waterfront, for a fee.-
- Someone taking their goose for a walk.
- Turkish donuts (lukman?) beinf fried up and given out for free - apparently done to celebrate good news. Especially good when they come over and give you more, for some reason.
- Kulturpark with lake swanboats, peace shattered by lil’ Wayne’s guttural ‘hey DJ, let's get some NOISE UP IN HEERE!!’ which was funny as anything. Izmir, go figure.
- -An old clocktower. Stylish but short.?
-upon me pointing out a Burger King: “you like black people?”“sure?”“Soul Brother Number One”
-”we are one and one”-
“we live then we always die”...still guilted me into paying him ~$7 at the end but not the worst.